Monday, April 25, 2016

Where are the qualified teachers?

I am beyond frustrated. Today was not a good day for Adam. He had a meltdown and threw his Nintendo 3DS across the room,  shattering it. Although I know this is clearly a symptom of his disability, he has to learn there are consequences, and his handheld is now gone. He will have to do chores and earn the money if he wants a new one. What concerns me more is what led up to this behavior. He has been telling me that other kids keep smacking him in the face and when he tells the teacher he is told to ignore it and move on. I have spoken to the special ed. director and she said she will find out what is going on. I am waiting to hear back. What makes me really angry is that the teacher then tells him that it doesn't matter about his game, that his mom will just buy him another one like always. First of all, he has no clue what I buy for him and under what circumstances. I have tied new games to his behavior, so if he has a good week, he can earn something. Secondly, it's no one's business how I choose to discipline my child. I have decided not to punish him for behavior at school, since there is no one there qualified to teach autistic kids, and they regularly and consistently set him up for a meltdown. I'm sick of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment