Friday, May 8, 2015

He's not bad, he's autistic

While raising a special needs child, a million different thoughts go through your mind a million times a day... did I do that right?.... could I have handled it differently? Fact is, no one has all the answers, we just do the best we can. What makes it difficult is when people you entrust your child to are doing it all wrong and you have to fight them every day to make it right.
 Autism is not about behavior. At all. Ever. Sure, kids with autism can exhibit undesirable behaviors just like any other child, but if they have triggers that are repeatedly ignored, and they have a meltdown, that is NOT a behavior issue, it is AUTISM. That being said, Adam has been having a lot of issues. It all came to a head last week when he was charged with assaulting his teacher after shoving a table toward her and bruising her. I am truly sorry that this happened, but this is not assault. Again, it is autism. All of this has highlighted the lack of autism training in our school system, and I will do everything within my power to make sure that is corrected. Also, I will make sure that my son's rights to an education will no longer be violated.

I've been looking for answers for over 2 years, when his behavior issues began to escalate. He was finally able to make me understand what he's been going through. He's been bullied, not just by other students, but by the adults in charge of his well-being at school.  And then, as a final insult, I was pushed into punishing him at home for trying to defend himself. 

As upset as I am about this entire incident, it may be what was needed to bring to the forefront what this child has been forced to endure. I have always been an involved parent with both of my children, and it's very insulting to have my parenting choices questioned by people who do not know me or my child at all. 

What bothers me the most is that I have let my son down, but he will know now that I have his back.



No comments:

Post a Comment